1 John 5
He that loveth God loveth God's children, and keepeth his commandments. A true faith will enable us to overcome the world. The witnesses of our faith. God hath given to believers eternal life through his Son: and will hear and grant their petitions made according to his will. God's children are distinguished from the world by abstaining from sin, and by a right knowledge. A caution against idolatry.
1 WHOSOEVER abelieveth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and bevery one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
- a: Mat. 16:16 , Jn. 6:69 , Ac. 8:37 , Ro. 10:9 , Ro. 10:10 , Jn. 1:12 , Jn. 1:13 , 1Jn. 2:22 , 1Jn. 2:23 , 1Jn. 4:2 , 1Jn. 4:14 , 1Jn. 4:15 , 1Jn. 2:29
- b: 1Jn. 3:14 , 1Jn. 3:17 , 1Jn. 3:23 , 1Jn. 4:7 , 1Jn. 4:8 , 1Jn. 4:12 , 1Jn. 4:20 , 1Jn. 4:21 , Es. 2:10 , Jn. 8:42 , Jn. 15:23 , Ja. 1:18 , 1Pe. 1:3 , 1Pe. 1:23
2 cBy this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 dFor this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and ehis commandments are not grievous.
4 For fwhatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 gWho is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
6 hThis is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And iit is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7 jFor there are three that bear record in heaven, the kFather, the lWord, and the mHoly *Ghost: and these three are none.
- j: Ps. 33:6 , Is. 11:2 , Is. 48:16 , Is. 61:1 , Is. 63:9 , Is. 63:10 , Hag. 2:5 , Hag. 2:7 , Zec. 12:10 , Mat. 3:16 , Mat. 3:17 , Mat. 28:19 , 2Co. 13:14 , Re. 1:4 , Re. 1:5 , 1Co. 12:4 - 6
- k: Mat. 3:17 , Mat. 17:5 , 2Pe. 1:16 , 2Pe. 1:17 , Jn. 12:28 , Jn. 8:18 , Jn. 8:54 , Jn. 10:25 , Jn. 10:37 , Jn. 10:38 , Ep. 1:3 , 1Pe. 1:2 , 1Pe. 1:3
- l: Jn. 1:1 , He. 4:12 , He. 4:13 , Re. 19:13 , 1Jn. 1:1 , Jn. 8:13 , Jn. 8:14 , Jn. 5:17 , Jn. 10:24 , Jn. 10:30 , Ac. 7:55 , Ac. 7:56 , Ac. 9:3 - 5
- m: Mat. 3:16 , Jn. 1:32 , Jn. 1:33 , Acts 2 , Ac. 8:7 , Ac. 10:44 , Jn. 15:26
- *: Ghost-Spirit.
- n: Jn. 10:30 , De. 6:4 , Mat. 19:17 , Mat. 28:19
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, othe Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
9 pIf we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God qwhich he hath testified of his Son.
10 He that believeth on the Son of God rhath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God shath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, tthat God hath given to us eternal life, uand this life is in his Son.
12 vHe that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 wThese things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on xthe name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the yconfidence that we have 1in him, that, zif we ask any thing aaccording to his will, he heareth us:
15 bAnd if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 cIf any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, dhe shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: eI do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 fAll unrighteousness is sin: and gthere is a sin not unto death.
18 hWe know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God ikeepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
19 jAnd we know that we are of God, and kthe whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And lwe know that the Son of God is come, mand hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, nand we are in ohim that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. pThis is the true God, and eternal qlife.
- l: 1Jn. 4:2 , 1Jn. 5:1
- m: Mat. 13:11 , Lu. 24:45 , Ep. 1:17 , Ep. 1:18 , Ep. 3:18 , Ep. 3:19 , Jn. 17:3
- n: 1Jn. 2:5 , 1Co. 1:30 , 2Co. 5:17 , 2Co. 5:21 , Phi. 3:9 , vs. 1 , Jn. 17:21
- o: Re. 3:7 , Re. 3:14 , Re. 19:11
- p: Is. 9:6 , Is. 44:6 , Is. 54:5 , Jn. 17:3 , Jn. 20:28 , Ro. 9:5 , 1Ti. 3:16 , Tit. 2:13 , 1Jn. 5:11 , 1Jn. 5:12
- q: 1Jn. 1:2