1 Timothy 3
The office of a bishop is to be esteemed a good work. The qualifications requisite in a bishop, and in deacons. Why Paul wrote these instructions to Timothy. The important truths of the Christian revelation.
1 THIS ais a true saying, If a man desire bthe office of a *bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 cA *bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, 1of good behaviour, dgiven to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 e2Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy *lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 fOne that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all ggravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of hthe church of God?)
- h: 1Ti. 3:15
6 Not 3a novice, lest ibeing lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover jhe must have a good report of kthem which are *without; lest he fall into reproach and the lsnare of the devil.
8 Likewise must mthe deacons be ngrave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy *lucre;
9 oHolding the mystery of the faith in pa pure conscience.
10 And let these also qfirst be *proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11 rEven so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let the deacons be sthe husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13 tFor they that have 4used the office of a deacon well *purchase to themselves a good degree, and ugreat boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
14 These things write I unto thee, vhoping to come unto thee shortly:
15 But if I tarry long, wthat thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in xthe house of God, which is the church yof the living God, the zpillar and 5ground of athe truth.
16 And without controversy great is the bmystery of godliness: God was cmanifest in the flesh, djustified in the Spirit, eseen of angels, fpreached unto the Gentiles, gbelieved on in the world, hreceived up into glory.
- b: 1Co. 2:7 , 1Ti. 1:19 , 1Ti. 3:9
- c: Is. 7:14 , Is. 9:6 , Jn. 1:14 , 1Jn. 1:2 , Ga. 4:4 , Ro. 8:3
- d: Mat. 3:16 , 2Co. 13:4 , 1Pe. 3:18 , Ro. 1:4 , Jn. 16:8 - 10 , 1Jn. 5:6
- e: Mat. 4:11 , Mat. 28:2 , Lu. 2:13 , Lu. 24:4 , Jn. 20:12 , Ps. 68:17 , Ps. 47:5 , Ep. 3:10 , 1Pe. 1:12
- f: Ac. 13:46 , Ac. 13:48 , Ep. 3:5 , Ep. 3:6 , Ep. 3:8 , Col. 1:6 , Col. 1:23 , Col. 1:27 , Ro. 10:12 , Ro. 10:18
- g: Col. 1:6 , Col. 1:23 , Re. 7:9
- h: Mar. 16:19 , Lu. 24:51 , Ac. 1:2 , Ac. 1:9 , Ps. 110:1 , He. 1:3 , He. 4:14 , He. 8:1