2 Corinthians 5
Paul declareth that in assured hope of a blessed immortality hereafter he was indifferent to life, and laboured only to approve himself to Christ: that knowing the general judgment that would follow, and the terrors of it, he was solicitous to persuade men: that this was said not by way of boasting, but purely to furnish the Corinthians with a reply in his justification against false pretenders: that moved by the love of Christ, he was become dead to all former regards; and all things being now made new by God in Christ reconciling the world to himself, he, as ambassador for Christ, besought men to embrace the offered reconciliation.
1 aFOR we know that if bour earthly house of this *tabernacle were dissolved, we have ca building of God, an house dnot made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For ein this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 fIf so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 gFor we that are in this *tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
5 Now he that hath hwrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the *earnest of the Spirit.
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst iwe are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7 j(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
8 We are kconfident, I say, and lwilling rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
9 Wherefore mwe 1labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10 nFor we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; othat every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
11 pKnowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but qwe are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
12 For rwe commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory 2in appearance, and not in heart.
13 For whether we be sbeside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.
14 For tthe love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
15 uAnd that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
16 vWherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ wafter the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore xif any man be in Christ, 3he is a new *creature: yold things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- x: 1Co. 1:30 , Ep. 2:10 , Ep. 1:3 , Ga. 1:22 , Ga. 5:6 , Ga. 6:15 , Jn. 3:3 , Jn. 3:5 , Jn. 3:6 , Eze. 36:26 , Ep. 4:23 , Ep. 4:24 , Col. 3:10 , Is. 65:17 , Ro. 6:4 - 6 , Ro. 8:9 , Ro. 8:10 , Ro. 16:7 , 2Co. 4:16 , 2Co. 12:2 , Is. 43:18 , 1Th. 5:24 , Mat. 16:24 , Re. 21:5
- 3: Or, let him be.
- *: creature-created thing.
- y: Ep. 2:15
18 zAnd all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, aand hath given to us the ministry of breconciliation;
19 *To wit, that cGod was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath 4committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are dambassadors for Christ, as though eGod did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's *stead, be ye reconciled to God.
21 fFor he hath made him to be sin for us, who gknew no sin; hthat we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- f: Is. 53:4 - 6 , Is. 53:10 - 12 , Da. 9:24 , Zec. 13:7 , 1Pe. 2:24 , 1Pe. 3:18 , Mat. 20:28 , Jn. 1:29 , Ro. 3:24 , Ro. 3:25 , Ro. 4:25 , Ro. 5:6 , Ro. 5:8 , Ro. 8:3 , Ga. 3:13 , Ep. 5:2 , 1Jn. 2:2 , 1Jn. 4:9 , 1Jn. 4:10 , Psalms 22 , Psalms 69 , He. 9:28
- g: Is. 53:9 , 1Pe. 2:22 , 1Pe. 1:19 , He. 7:26 , Lu. 1:35 , 1Jn. 3:5 , Jn. 14:30 , Jn. 8:46 , Jn. 8:29 , Mat. 3:15
- h: Is. 42:21 , Is. 45:24 , Is. 45:25 , Is. 53:4 , Is. 53:5 , Is. 53:11 , Is. 54:17 , Is. 61:10 , Je. 23:6 , Je. 33:16 , Da. 9:24 , Ro. 1:17 , Ro. 3:21 - 26 , Ro. 8:1 - 4 , Ro. 5:15 - 21 , Ro. 4:24 , Ro. 4:25 , Ro. 10:4 , 1Co. 1:30 , Phi. 3:9 , Re. 1:5 , Re. 5:9 , Re. 7:14 , Re. 19:8 , Re. 19:14