After saluting the saints at Colosse, Paul testifieth his thankfulness to God for the good account he had heard of their faith and love; and his continual prayers for their improvement in spiritual knowledge, right practice, and thanksgiving to God for the benefits of redemption by his Son. He sheweth them the exalted nature and mediatorial office of Christ, by whom they, who were once enemies, were now reconciled, if they continued true to the gospel, whereof he Paul was made a minister to preach it to the Gentiles.
1 aPAUL, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus bour brother,
2 cTo the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at dColosse: eGrace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 fWe give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
5 gFor the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the hword of the truth of the gospel;
6 iWhich is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and jbringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and kknew the grace of God in truth:
- i: Col. 1:23 , Is. 11:9 , Is. 11:10 , Ps. 98:3 , Mat. 28:19 , Mat. 24:14 , Mat. 26:13 , Ro. 10:18 , Ro. 15:19 , Acts 1 - 20 , Mar. 16:15
- j: Mar. 4:8 , Jn. 15:16 , Ep. 5:9 , Phi. 1:11 , Ac. 6:7 , Ac. 12:24 , Ac. 19:20 , Tit. 2:11 - 14 , Ro. 10:17
- k: Jn. 4:23 , Ps. 110:3 , Eze. 16:8 , Eze. 36:26 , Eze. 36:27 , Ac. 16:14 , Ac. 13:48 , Ac. 11:18 , Ac. 26:18 , Phi. 1:29 , 1Th. 1:5 , 1Th. 2:13 , 1Pe. 1:2 , 1Pe. 1:3 , 1Pe. 1:23 , 1Pe. 2:1 - 3 , 2Co. 6:1 , Ep. 3:2
7 As ye also learned of lEpaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
9 nFor this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 That ye omight walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 pStrengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, qunto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
- p: Ep. 3:16 , Ep. 6:10 , Ep. 1:19 , Is. 40:29 - 31 , Is. 45:24 , Zec. 10:12 , Phi. 4:13 , 2Co. 12:9
- q: Ro. 5:3 - 5 , 2Co. 6:4 , 2Co. 6:6 , Ga. 5:22 , Ep. 4:2 , He. 12:1 , He. 12:2 , Ac. 5:41 , He. 10:34 , Phi. 2:17 , Phi. 2:18 , Phi. 3:1 , Phi. 3:3 , Phi. 4:4 , Ja. 1:2 , Ja. 1:4 , 1Pe. 1:6 , 1Pe. 1:7 , Mat. 5:12 , 2Co. 1:5
12 rGiving thanks unto the Father, which shath made us *meet to be partakers of the tinheritance of the saints in light:
13 uWho hath delivered us from vthe power of darkness, and hath *translated us into the kingdom of w1his dear Son:
14 xIn whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 yWho is the image of zthe invisible God, athe firstborn of every *creature:
16 For bby him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 cAnd he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is dthe head of the body, the church: who is ethe beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that 2in all things he might have the preeminence.
19 For it pleased the Father that in him fshould all fulness dwell;
20 And, g3having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
21 And hyou, that were *sometime alienated and enemies 4in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
22 iIn the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
23 If ye jcontinue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from kthe hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which lwas preached to every *creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul mam made a minister;
- j: Phi. 1:27 , Phi. 4:1 , He. 3:6 , He. 3:14 , He. 4:14 , He. 10:23 , He. 10:38 , He. 10:39 , Ep. 3:17 , Ep. 3:18 , Col. 2:7 , Jn. 15:4 - 7 , Ga. 6:9 , 1Co. 15:58
- k: Col. 1:5 , Ro. 5:5 , Ro. 15:4 , Ro. 15:13 , Ep. 1:18 , 2Th. 2:16 , He. 6:11 , He. 6:18 , He. 6:19 , 1Pe. 1:3 , Tit. 1:2 , Tit. 2:13 , Ga. 5:5
- l: Mar. 16:15 , Mat. 24:14 , Mat. 28:19 , Ro. 10:18 , Col. 1:6
- *: creature-created thing.
- m: 2Co. 3:6 , 2Co. 4:1 , 2Co. 5:18 - 20 , 2Co. 6:1 , Ep. 3:7 , Ep. 3:8 , 1Ti. 1:11 , 1Ti. 1:12 , 1Ti. 2:7 , 2Ti. 1:11 , Col. 1:1 , Col. 1:25
24 Who now nrejoice in my sufferings for you, oand fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his pbody's sake, which is the church:
25 qWhereof I am made a minister, according to the *dispensation of God which is given to me for you, 5to fulfil the word of God;
26 Even rthe mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would smake known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is tChrist 6in you, the hope of glory:
- s: 2Co. 2:14 , Ga. 1:16 , Ep. 1:7 , Ep. 1:18 - 20 , Ep. 1:7 , Ep. 2:7 , Ep. 3:3 , Ep. 3:8 , Ep. 3:10 , Ro. 9:23 , Pr. 8:18 , Pr. 8:19 , Col. 2:3
- t: 1Co. 2:2 , Col. 3:11 , Lu. 17:21 , 2Co. 13:5 , Ga. 4:19 , Ga. 2:20 , Ep. 3:17 , Ro. 6:4 , Ro. 8:26 , Col. 3:1 , Col. 3:4 , Ep. 2:6 , 1Ti. 1:1
- 6: Or, among.
28 uWhom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that vwe may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: