After saluting the Ephesians, Paul blesseth God for his spiritual blessings on those whom he had chosen in Christ, and predestinated to the adoption of children; for our redemption by his grace, according to his revealed purpose of gathering together all in one under Christ; for the inheritance already obtained by those who first trusted in Christ; and for the Spirit given to after-believers, as an earnest of the same. He declareth his continual thankfulness to God for their faith, and his prayers that God would perfect them in the knowledge of those things, which concerned their state in Christ, whom God had raised up, and exalted to be the supreme head of his body the church.
1 aPAUL, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to bthe saints which are at cEphesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 dGrace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 eBlessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who fhath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly 1places in Christ:
4 According as he ghath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be hholy and without blame before him in love:
5 iHaving predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, jaccording to the good pleasure of his will,
6 kTo the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath lmade us accepted in mthe beloved.
- k: Ep. 1:12 , Ep. 1:14 , Ep. 2:7 , Ep. 3:21 , 1Pe. 4:11 , Ro. 9:23 , Lu. 2:14 , Ps. 115:1 , Ps. 107:1 , Ps. 107:2 , Ps. 107:8
- l: 1Pe. 2:5 , Is. 45:24 , Is. 45:25 , Je. 23:6 , Ro. 3:24 , Ro. 5:15 - 19 , 2Co. 5:21
- m: Mat. 3:17 , Mat. 17:5 , Pr. 8:30 , Pr. 8:31 , Is. 42:1 , Is. 49:1 - 3 , Jn. 3:35 , Jn. 10:17
7 nIn whom we have redemption through his blood, the oforgiveness of sins, according to the priches of his grace;
8 qWherein he hath abounded toward us in all rwisdom and prudence;
9 sHaving made known unto us the mystery of his will, taccording to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That uin the *dispensation of the fulness of times he might vgather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in 2heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 wIn whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated xaccording to the purpose of him who yworketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
- w: Ac. 20:32 , Ac. 26:18 , Col. 1:12 , Col. 3:21 , Ro. 8:17 , Ro. 9:30 , Ga. 3:2 , Ga. 3:9 , Ga. 3:29 , Ga. 4:7 , Tit. 3:7 , 1Pe. 1:4 , 1Pe. 3:9 , Ep. 1:14 , Ep. 1:18
- x: Ro. 8:28 , Ep. 1:9 , Ep. 3:11
- y: Is. 46:10 , Ps. 33:11 , Ps. 135:6 , Ps. 104:24 , Mat. 10:29 , Ac. 15:18 , Phi. 2:13 , Is. 14:24 , Is. 14:27
12 zThat we should be to the praise of his glory, who afirst 3trusted in Christ.
13 bIn whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, cthe gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, dye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
- b: Ro. 10:17 , Ro. 1:16 , Ro. 1:17 , Col. 1:6 , Col. 1:23 , 1Th. 2:13 , 1Ti. 1:15 , Re. 19:9 , Jn. 1:17 , Ga. 2:5 , Ga. 2:14 , Ga. 3:1 , Ga. 4:16 , Ga. 5:7 , Ep. 4:21 , 2Co. 6:7
- c: Mar. 16:15 , Mar. 16:16 , Ro. 1:16 , Ro. 1:17 , Is. 55:3 , Tit. 2:11 , He. 2:3 , Jn. 3:14 - 17
- d: Ro. 8:15 , Ro. 8:16 , 2Co. 1:6 , 2Co. 1:22 , 2Co. 5:5 , Ep. 4:30 , Ga. 4:6 , Lu. 24:49 , Jn. 6:27 , Jn. 14:26 , Jn. 16:13
14 Which is the e*earnest of our inheritance until the fredemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15 Wherefore gI also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 hCease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
- h: Ro. 1:8
17 That ithe God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you jthe spirit of wisdom and revelation 4in the knowledge of him:
18 kThe eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is lthe hope of his calling, and what mthe riches of the glory of his ninheritance in the saints,
19 And what is othe exceeding greatness of his power to *us-ward who believe, paccording to the working of 5his mighty power,
20 qWhich he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and rset him at his own right hand sin the heavenly places,
21 tFar above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in uthat which is to come:
22 And vhath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be wthe head over all things to the church,
23 Which is xhis body, the fulness of him that yfilleth all in all.