The rest of Christians to be attained by faith. The power of God's word. Having Jesus the Son of God for our high priest, we must hold fast our profession, and come boldly unto the throne of grace.
1 LET aus therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his brest, any of you should seem cto come short of it.
2 For dunto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: ebut 1the word preached did not profit them, 2not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3 For fwe which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, gAs I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were hfinished from the foundation of the world.
- f: Ro. 5:1 , Ro. 5:2 , Ro. 10:10 , Is. 28:16 , Is. 45:22 , Je. 6:16 , Mat. 11:28 , Mat. 11:29 , He. 3:14 , Lu. 14:22 , Lu. 14:23
- g: Ps. 95:11 , He. 3:11 , He. 3:18 , Nu. 14:21 , Nu. 14:23 , Nu. 14:30
- h: Ge. 1:31 , Ge. 2:1 , Ge. 2:2 , Ex. 20:11 , Ex. 31:15 , Ex. 31:17 , He. 9:26 , Mat. 13:35 , Ep. 1:4 , 1Pe. 1:20
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, iAnd God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
6 Seeing therefore kit remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom 3it was first preached lentered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, mTo day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if 4Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a n5rest to the people of God.
10 For ohe that is entered into his rest, he also phath ceased from his own works, qas God did from his.
11 rLet us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of 6unbelief.
12 For sthe word of God is t*quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing *asunder of usoul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- s: Jn. 1:1 , Jn. 6:63 , Jn. 12:48 , 1Jn. 5:7 , Re. 19:13 , Ps. 147:19 , Ps. 119:11
- t: Ec. 12:11 , Is. 11:4 , Is. 49:2 , Is. 55:11 , Je. 23:29 , Ac. 2:37 , 1Co. 14:24 , 1Co. 14:25 , 2Co. 2:16 , 2Co. 10:4 , 2Co. 10:5 , Ep. 6:17 , Re. 1:16 , Re. 19:21 , Ro. 2:16 , 1Pe. 1:23
- *: quick-living. , asunder-apart.
- u: 1Th. 5:23
13 vNeither is there any *creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom wwe have to do.
14 xSeeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us yhold fast our profession.
15 For zwe have not aan high priest bwhich cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet cwithout sin.