God displayeth his merciful providence in regard of his church: which he exhorteth to trust in him without fear; and challenging the idols to produce like proofs of power and knowledge, he sheweth their vanity.
1 KEEP asilence before me, O bislands; and clet the people renew their strength: let them come near; then let them speak: let us come near together to judgment.
2 Who draised up the 1righteous man from the east, called him to his foot, gave the nations before him, and made him rule over kings? he gave them as the dust to his sword, and as driven stubble to his bow.
- d: Ge. 15:6 , Ge. 11:31 , Ge. 12:1 , Ge. 14:14 , Ge. 14:15 , Ro. 4:3 , He. 11:8 , Is. 44:28 , Is. 45:1 - 6 , Is. 45:13 , Is. 46:11 , Is. 41:25 , Ezr. 1:1 , Ezr. 1:2 , Je. 51:9 , Je. 50:41 , Je. 50:42 , Je. 23:5 , Je. 23:6 , Ps. 72:8 - 12 , Is. 63:1 - 4 , Ac. 13:2 , Ac. 26:17 , Ac. 26:18 , Ro. 15:19
- 1: Heb. righteousness.
3 He pursued them, and passed 2safely; even by the way that he had not gone with his feet.
- 2: Heb. in peace.
4 Who hath wrought and done it, ecalling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the ffirst, and with the last; I am he.
5 gThe isles saw it, and feared; the ends of the earth were afraid, drew near, and came.
6 They hhelped every one his neighbour; and every one said to his brother, 3Be of good courage.
7 iSo the carpenter encouraged the 4goldsmith, and he that smootheth with the hammer 5him that smote the anvil, 6saying, It is ready for the *sodering: and he fastened it with nails, that it should not be moved.
8 But thou, Israel, jart my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my kfriend.
9 Thou lwhom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art mmy servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away.
10 ¶nFear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: oI will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
- n: Is. 41:13 , Is. 41:14 , Is. 43:1 , Is. 43:2 , Is. 43:5 , Lu. 12:31 , Lu. 12:32 , Ro. 8:31 , Zec. 10:12 , Mat. 28:20 , He. 13:5 , De. 31:6 , De. 31:8 , De. 33:27 - 29 , Phi. 1:6 , Phi. 4:13 , Phi. 2:13 , Col. 1:11 , 2Co. 12:9 , 2Co. 12:10 , Ep. 1:19 , Ps. 118:6 , Ps. 118:7 , Ps. 27:1 , Ps. 27:14 , 1Co. 16:13
- o: Is. 40:29
11 Behold, pall they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and 7they that strive with thee shall perish.
12 qThou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even 8them that contended with thee: 9they that war against thee shall be ras nothing, and as a thing of nought.
13 For I the LORD thy God will shold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
14 tFear not, thou uworm Jacob, and ye 10men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy vredeemer, wthe Holy One of Israel.
- t: Is. 41:10 , Is. 41:13 , Ps. 3:6 , He. 13:5 , He. 13:6 , Ac. 4:29 , Ac. 26:22 , Mat. 10:28
- u: Job 25:6 , Ps. 22:6 , 2Co. 3:5 , Ge. 32:10
- 10: Or, few men. Ps. 105.12. Lu. 12.32. , Ps. 105:12 , Lu. 12:32
- v: Nu. 35:25 , Ge. 48:16 , Is. 63:9 , Job 19:25 , Is. 43:1 , Is. 43:14 , Is. 49:26 , Is. 48:17 , Is. 54:5 , Is. 54:8 , Is. 60:16
- w: Is. 12:6 , Is. 41:16
15 Behold, I will make thee a new sharp xthreshing instrument having 11teeth: thou yshalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff.
16 Thou shalt zfan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou ashalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
17 When bthe poor and needy seek cwater, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the LORD dwill hear them, I ethe God of Israel fwill not forsake them.
- b: Ps. 68:10 , Ps. 68:18 , Ps. 72:4 , Ps. 72:12 - 14 , Ps. 102:17 , Ps. 107:4 , 1Co. 1:26 , Is. 11:4 , Re. 3:17 , Re. 3:18 , Mat. 9:13
- c: Is. 12:3 , Jn. 4:10 , Jn. 4:14 , Jn. 7:37 - 39 , Re. 22:1 , Re. 22:7
- d: Ps. 102:17 , Ps. 107:5 , Ps. 107:6 , Ps. 34:6 , 2Co. 12:9
- e: Is. 29:23
- f: Ge. 28:15 , Jos. 1:5 , Ps. 37:28 , Ps. 94:14 , 1Sa. 12:22 , He. 13:5 , Is. 41:9
18 I will open grivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.
19 hI will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:
20 iThat they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it.
21 12Produce your cause, saith the LORD; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob.
22 Let them bring them forth, and jshew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may 13consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come.
23 kShew the things that are to come hereafter, lthat we may know that ye are gods: yea, mdo good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.
24 Behold, nye are 14of nothing, and your work 15of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you.
25 oI have raised up one from the north, and he shall come: from the rising of the sun shall he call upon my name: and he shall come upon princes as upon morter, and as the potter treadeth clay.
26 pWho hath declared from the beginning, that we may know? and beforetime, that we may say, He is righteous? yea, there is none that sheweth, yea, there is none that declareth, yea, there is none that heareth your words.
27 16The first shall say to Zion, Behold, behold them: and I will give to Jerusalem qone that bringeth good tidings.
28 For I beheld, and rthere was no man; even among them, and there was no counsellor, that, when I asked of them, could 17answer a word.