God comforteth the church with gracious promises: he calleth the people to witness his omnipotency: he foretelleth the destruction of Babylon, and his wonderful deliverance of his people: he reproveth their neglect of his service.
1 BUT now thus saith the LORD athat created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O bIsrael, cFear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have dcalled thee by thy name; thou art mine.
- a: Je. 33:24 - 26 , Is. 43:7 , Zec. 12:1 , Ex. 19:5 , Ex. 19:6 , De. 32:6 , De. 4:20 , De. 4:39 , Is. 44:1 , Is. 44:2 , Is. 41:14 , Is. 41:16 , Ex. 33:17
- b: Ro. 9:6 , Ro. 11:7 , Ro. 2:28 , Ro. 2:29 , 1Pe. 2:9 , Is. 62:12
- c: Is. 41:10 , Is. 41:13 , Is. 44:22 , Is. 44:23 , Is. 48:17 , Is. 49:26
- d: Is. 45:3 , Is. 45:4 , Is. 48:12 , Is. 55:5 , 1Co. 1:9 , 2Ti. 1:9 , 1Pe. 2:9
2 eWhen thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
- e: Ps. 66:10 - 12 , Ac. 27:20 - 25 , Am. 3:2 , Am. 9:8 - 10 , Mal. 3:2 , Mal. 3:3 , Je. 30:11 , Is. 1:9 , Is. 1:25 , Is. 1:27 , Is. 6:13 , Is. 10:22 , Is. 17:6 , Is. 27:8 , Is. 27:9 , 1Co. 10:13 , 2Co. 12:9 , De. 33:25 , De. 32:36 , Ps. 91:3 , Ps. 124:2 , Ps. 124:3 , Mat. 16:18 , Jn. 16:33 , Da. 3:21 , Da. 3:25 , Da. 3:27 , Zec. 13:9 , 1Pe. 1:7
3 For I am the LORD thy God, fthe Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: gI gave hEgypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
4 Since thou wast iprecious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy 1life.
5 jFear not: for I am with thee: kI will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
- j: Is. 40:1 , Is. 40:2 , Is. 41:10 , Is. 41:13 , Is. 41:14 , Is. 44:2 , Je. 30:10 , Je. 46:27 , Is. 43:1
- k: De. 30:3 , De. 30:4 , Ps. 106:47 , Ps. 107:3 , Zec. 8:7 , Zec. 10:10 , Ps. 72:16 , Ps. 72:17 , Ps. 87:3 , Ps. 87:4 , Is. 11:11 , Is. 11:12 , Is. 66:19 , Is. 27:12 , Is. 27:13 , Is. 49:12 , Je. 29:14 , Je. 30:18 , Je. 31:8 , Je. 31:9 , Mi. 2:12 , Is. 60:1 - 11 , Is. 55:5 , Is. 54:2 , Is. 54:3 , Is. 49:18 - 23 , Is. 45:6 , Ge. 49:10 , Mat. 24:31 , Mat. 8:11 , Jn. 6:37 , Jn. 10:16 , Jn. 11:51 , Re. 11:15
6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: lbring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7 Even every one mthat is called by my name: for I have ncreated him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
8 ¶Bring forth othe blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears.
9 pLet all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or qlet them hear, and say, It is truth.
10 Ye are my rwitnesses, saith the LORD, and smy servant whom I have chosen: that tye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: ubefore me there was 2no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
- r: Is. 44:8 , Jos. 24:22 , Jos. 24:27 , Ac. 10:39 , Ac. 1:8 , Jn. 1:7
- s: Phi. 2:7 , Is. 41:8 , Is. 44:1 , Is. 44:26 , Is. 42:1 , Is. 42:19 , Is. 55:4 , Mal. 3:2 , Re. 1:5 , Re. 3:14
- t: Jn. 20:31 , 1Jn. 5:10 , Ro. 10:10 , 2Co. 4:13
- u: Col. 1:17 , Is. 41:4 , Is. 44:6 , Is. 44:8 , Is. 48:12
- 2: Or, nothing formed of God.
11 I, even I, vam the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
12 wI have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, xwhen there was no *strange god among you: ytherefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
13 Yea, zbefore the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall a3let it?
14 ¶Thus saith the LORD, byour redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; cFor your sake I have sent to Babylon, and have brought down all their 4nobles, and the Chaldeans, whose cry is in the ships.
15 dI am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.
16 Thus saith the LORD, which emaketh a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters;
17 fWhich bringeth forth the chariot and horse, the army and the power; they shall lie down together, they shall not rise: they are extinct, they are quenched as *tow.
18 ¶Remember ye not gthe former things, neither consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I will do a hnew thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I iwill even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
20 jThe beast of the field shall honour me, the *dragons and the 5owls: because kI give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen.
- j: Mat. 15:26 , Ep. 2:12 , Ep. 2:13 , Is. 11:6 - 10 , Is. 35:9 , Is. 42:1 , Is. 42:10 , Is. 42:11 , Ps. 117:1 , Ps. 117:2 , Tit. 3:3 , Tit. 3:5 , 1Co. 6:9 - 11 , Mar. 16:15 , Ac. 13:46
- *: dragons-serpents.
- 5: Or, ostriches. Heb. daughters of the owl.
- k: Is. 35:6 , Is. 41:17 , Is. 41:18 , Is. 48:21 , 3:18 , Re. 22:1 , Re. 22:17 , Re. 7:17 , Ex. 17:6
21 lThis people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise.
22 ¶mBut thou hast not called upon me, O Jacob; but thou hast been weary of me, O Israel.
23 nThou hast not brought me the 6small cattle of thy burnt offerings; neither hast thou honoured me with thy sacrifices. oI have not caused thee to serve with an offering, nor wearied thee with incense.
24 Thou hast bought me no psweet cane with money, neither hast thou 7filled me with the fat of thy sacrifices: but thou qhast made me to serve with thy sins, thou hast wearied me with thine iniquities.
25 I, even I, am he that rblotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
- r: Eze. 36:22 , Is. 44:22 , Is. 1:18 , Is. 48:9 , Is. 48:11 , Ps. 51:1 , Col. 1:14 , Mi. 7:18 , Mi. 7:19 , Je. 50:20 , Je. 31:34 , Je. 33:7 , Je. 33:8 , He. 8:2 , He. 6:7 , Ec. 3:6 , Ps. 102:27 , Ex. 34:6 , Ex. 34:7 , Ps. 25:7 , Ps. 25:11 , Ps. 79:8 , Ps. 86:5 , Ps. 115:1 , Ps. 115:2 , Ro. 3:24 - 26 , 1Co. 1:30 , 2Co. 5:21 , Ac. 3:19
26 sPut me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.
27 tThy first father hath sinned, and thy 8teachers have transgressed against me.
28 Therefore I have uprofaned the 9princes of the sanctuary, and have given Jacob to the curse, and Israel to reproaches.