God again comforteth his church with gracious promises. The folly of the makers of idols. God exhorteth Israel to trust in his mercy, and promiseth restoration by Cyrus.
1 YET now hear, aO Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen:
2 Thus saith the LORD that bmade thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; cFear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, dwhom I have chosen.
- b: Ps. 46:5 , He. 4:16 , De. 32:6 , Is. 43:1 , Is. 43:7 , Is. 43:21 , Is. 46:3 , Eze. 16:6 - 14 , Eze. 20:5 - 12 , Ge. 17:1 - 14 , De. 4:7 , De. 4:8 , De. 4:20 , De. 4:31 - 37 , Ex. 19:5 , Ex. 19:6
- c: Is. 41:10 , Is. 41:13 , Is. 41:14 , Is. 43:1 , Is. 43:5 , De. 32:15 , De. 33:5 , De. 33:26
- d: Ro. 8:30 , Ep. 1:4 , 1Th. 1:4
3 For I will epour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:
4 And they shall fspring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses.
5 gOne shall say, I am the LORD's; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the LORD, and hsurname himself by the name of Israel.
6 Thus saith the iLORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; jI am the first, and I am the last; and kbeside me there is no God.
- i: Is. 43:11 , Is. 43:14 , Is. 43:15 , Is. 48:17 , Tit. 2:13 , Tit. 2:14
- j: Is. 41:4 , Is. 48:12 , Re. 1:8 , Re. 1:17 , Re. 22:13
- k: Is. 44:8 , Is. 43:10 , Is. 43:11 , Is. 45:6 , Is. 45:21 , Is. 45:22 , Is. 42:8 , De. 4:35 , De. 4:39 , De. 32:39 , De. 6:4 , 1Co. 8:5 , 1Co. 8:6 , 1Jn. 5:20 , Ep. 4:6 , Ps. 86:10
7 lAnd who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since mI appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
8 nFear ye not, neither be afraid: ohave not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even pmy witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, qthere is no 1God; I know not any.
- n: Pr. 3:25 , Pr. 3:26 , Is. 8:12 , Is. 8:13 , Is. 35:3 , Is. 35:4 , Is. 41:10 , Is. 41:13 , Is. 41:14 , Is. 43:1 , Is. 44:2 , Je. 10:2
- o: Ge. 15:13 - 21 , Ge. 28:13 - 15 , Ge. 46:4 , Genesis 49 , Leviticus 26 , Deuteronomy 28 - 33 , Genesis 21 , Esther 10 , Is. 41:22
- p: Is. 43:10 , Is. 43:12 , Jos. 24:22 , Jos. 24:27 , Jn. 15:27 , Ac. 1:8 , Ac. 10:39 , Ac. 10:43 , 1Jn. 1:2 , 1Jn. 5:10
- q: De. 4:35 , De. 4:39 , De. 32:39 , 1Sa. 2:2 , Is. 45:5 , Is. 45:22 , 1Co. 8:4 , 1Co. 8:6
- 1: Heb. rock. De. 32.4. Ps. 18.31; 91.2. , De. 32:4 , Ps. 18:31 , Ps. 91:2
9 ¶rThey that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their 2delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; sthey see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.
- r: Is. 41:24 , Is. 41:29 , Is. 42:17 , Ps. 97:7 , Ps. 115:4 - 8 , Je. 3:23 , Je. 50:38 , Je. 51:44 , Je. 51:47 , Je. 2:11
- 2: Heb. desirable. i.e. idols. Da. 11.38. , Da. 11:38
- s: Ps. 115:4 - 8 , Ps. 135:15 - 18 , Hab. 2:18 , Hab. 2:19 , 1Co. 8:4 , Je. 2:11 , Je. 2:13 , Je. 2:26 , Je. 2:27 , Je. 3:24 , Je. 3:25 , Je. 16:19
10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image tthat is profitable for nothing?
- t: Hab. 2:18
11 Behold, all his fellows shall be uashamed: and the workmen, they are of men: let them all be gathered together, let them stand up; yet they shall fear, and they shall be ashamed together.
12 vThe smith with 3the tongs both worketh in the coals, and fashioneth it with hammers, and worketh it with the strength of his arms: yea, whe is hungry, and his strength faileth: he drinketh no water, and is faint.
13 The carpenter stretcheth out his rule; he marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man; that it xmay remain in the house.
14 He y*heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he 4strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash, and the rain doth nourish it.
15 Then shall it be for a man to burn: for he will take thereof, and warm himself; yea, he kindleth it, and baketh bread; yea, zhe maketh a god, and worshippeth it; he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.
16 He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire:
17 And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he afalleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god.
18 bThey have not known nor understood: for he hath 5shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.
19 And none 6considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof can abomination? shall I fall down to 7the *stock of a tree?
20 He dfeedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not ea lie in my right hand?
21 ¶fRemember these, O Jacob and Israel; gfor thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
22 hI have blotted out, ias a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: jreturn unto me; for kI have redeemed thee.
- h: Is. 1:18 , Is. 4:4 , Is. 43:25 , Is. 53:11 , Ps. 103:12 , Je. 31:34 , Je. 33:8 , Mi. 7:18 , Mi. 7:19 , Ro. 3:24 - 26 , Col. 2:13 , Col. 1:14
- i: Job 37:11 , Ps. 18:12 , Ps. 68:2 , Is. 59:2 , La. 3:44
- j: Ho. 14:1 - 4 , Je. 3:1 , Je. 3:14 , Je. 3:22 , Je. 31:18 - 20 , Eze. 16:62 , Eze. 16:63 , Eze. 36:22 - 31 , Is. 55:6 , Is. 55:7 , Is. 31:6 , Lu. 1:74 , Lu. 1:75 , 2Co. 5:14 , 2Co. 5:15 , 1Co. 6:19 , 1Co. 6:20 , 1Pe. 1:18
- k: Is. 43:1 , Is. 48:20
23 lSing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.
24 mThus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and nhe that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that *spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
25 oThat frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh p*diviners mad; that qturneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;
26 That rconfirmeth the word of shis servant, and performeth the counsel of his tmessengers; that saith to Jerusalem, uThou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the 8decayed places thereof:
27 vThat saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers:
28 That saith of Cyrus, wHe is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, xThou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.