Christ's resurrection is declared by two angels to the women that came to the sepulchre, who report it to others, but are not believed. Peter visiteth the sepulchre. Christ appeareth to two disciples going to Emmaus; and to the apostles, eating before them, and explaining the scriptures concerning himself: he promiseth them the Holy Ghost, and ascendeth into heaven.
1 NOW aupon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
2 And they found bthe stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, dtwo men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye 1the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: eremember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
9 gAnd returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.
10 hIt was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
11 iAnd their words seemed to them as idle tales, and jthey believed them not.
12 kThen arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.
13 ¶lAnd, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
14 And they mtalked together of nall these things which had happened.
15 And it came to pass, that, while othey communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16 pBut their eyes were *holden that they should not know him.
17 And he said unto them, What *manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
- *: manner-kind, sort.
18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was qa prophet rmighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
20 sAnd how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
21 But we trusted that it had been he twhich should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
22 uYea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen va vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
- v: Lu. 24:4
24 wAnd certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
25 Then he said unto them, xO fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26 yOught not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27 And zbeginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
- z: Ge. 3:15 , Ge. 22:18 , Ge. 26:4 , Ge. 49:10 , Exodus 25 - 30 , Exodus 35 - 40 , Leviticus 1 - 16 , Nu. 21:9 , Nu. 24:17 , De. 18:15 - 19 , Psalms 2 , Psalms 8 , Psalms 16 , Psalms 22 , Psalms 69 , Psalms 72 , Psalms 45 , Psalms 132 , Is. 7:14 , Is. 9:6 , Is. 9:7 , Is. 35:3 - 8 , Is. 11:1 - 10 , Is. 40:10 , Is. 40:11 , Is. 42:1 - 7 , Isaiah 49 , Isaiah 50 , Isaiah 52 , Isaiah 53 , Is. 61:1 , Is. 63:1 - 6 , Je. 23:5 , Je. 23:6 , Je. 30:21 , Je. 31:22 , Je. 33:14 - 16 , Ezekiel 34 , Eze. 37:25 , Da. 2:44 , Da. 9:24 - 27 , Mi. 5:2 - 4 , Zec. 3:8 , Zec. 3:9 , Zec. 6:12 , Zec. 6:13 , Zec. 9:9 , Zec. 11:13 , Zec. 12:10 , Zec. 13:7 , Ho. 11:1 , Mal. 3:1 - 3 , Mal. 4:2 , Hag. 2:7 , Lu. 24:44 , Lu. 24:45 , Jn. 1:45 , Ac. 3:22 , Ac. 10:43 , Ac. 26:22
28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
29 But they aconstrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30 And it came to pass, as he sat at *meat with them, bhe took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes cwere opened, and they knew him; and he 2vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart dburn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven egathered together, and them that were with them,
34 Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and fhath appeared to Simon.
35 gAnd they told what things were done in the way, and how hhe was known of them in breaking of bread.
36 ¶iAnd as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 jBut they were terrified and *affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, kWhy are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 lBehold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, mHave ye here any *meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
44 And he said unto them, oThese are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the plaw of Moses, and in the prophets, and in qthe psalms, concerning me.
- o: Mat. 16:21 , Mat. 17:22 , Mat. 17:23 , Mat. 20:18 , Mat. 20:19 , Mar. 8:31 , Mar. 9:31 , Mar. 10:33 , Lu. 24:6 , Lu. 24:7 , Lu. 9:22 , Lu. 18:31 , Lu. 18:32 , Lu. 21:22 , Ac. 3:18 , Ac. 13:27 , Ac. 13:33 , Mi. 5:2 , Hag. 2:7 , Zec. 9:9 , Zec. 13:7 , Mal. 3:1 - 3 , Mal. 4:2 , Psalms 22 , Ps. 110:1 , Jn. 16:1 , Jn. 1:45
- p: Ge. 3:15 , Isaiah 53 , Da. 9:26 , Ho. 6:2 , Psalms 22 , Ps. 16:9 , Ps. 16:10 , Lu. 24:27
- q: Psalms 69 , Ps. 88:8 , Ps. 88:18 , Ps. 118:22 , Ps. 118:26 , Ps. 132:11
45 Then ropened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, sThus it is written, and thus tit behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 uAnd that repentance and *remission of sins should be preached in his name vamong all nations, wbeginning at Jerusalem.
- u: Zec. 12:10 , Mat. 9:13 , Ac. 2:38 , Ac. 3:26 , Ac. 13:38 , Ac. 5:31 , 1Jn. 2:21 , 1Jn. 1:7 , Re. 1:5 , Re. 1:6
- *: remission-forgiveness, pardon.
- v: Ps. 2:6 , Ps. 2:8 , Ps. 22:22 , Ps. 22:27 , Ps. 110:2 , Is. 2:2 - 4 , Is. 11:10 , Is. 28:16 , Is. 40:9 , Is. 49:1 , Is. 49:6 , Is. 49:22 , Is. 53:12 , Is. 52:15 , Is. 59:19 , Is. 59:20 , Is. 60:9 , Je. 31:33 , Je. 31:34 , Da. 7:14 , Da. 2:44 , 2:32 , Mal. 1:11 , Mat. 8:11 , Mat. 8:12
- w: Ac. 2:14 - 47
48 xAnd ye are witnesses of these things.
49 ¶And, behold, I send ythe promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be *endued with power from on high.
50 ¶And he led them out as far zas to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and ablessed them.
51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he bwas parted from them, and ccarried up into heaven.
52 dAnd they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with egreat joy: