Paul exhorteth to rejoice in the Lord, and to beware of the false teachers of the circumcision: shewing that as a Jew he had better grounds of confidence than they; but that he disclaimed them all, trusting only to the justification which is of God by faith, and hoping to partake of the resurrection through Christ. He acknowledgeth his present imperfection, and that he was still anxiously striving for the prize: exhorting others to be likeminded, and to follow his example; for many were enemies to the gospel, being earthly minded; but his conversation and views were heavenly.
1 FINALLY, my brethren, arejoice in the Lord. bTo write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
2 cBeware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the *concision.
3 For we are dthe circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4 Though eI might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 fCircumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 gConcerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss ifor the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: jfor whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may kwin Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having lmine own righteousness, which is of the law, but mthat which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
- l: Ro. 9:31 , Ro. 9:32 , Ro. 10:2 , Ro. 10:3 , Ro. 10:5 , Ga. 3:10 , Is. 64:6 , Ps. 143:2
- m: Ro. 1:17 , Ro. 3:21 , Ro. 3:22 , Ro. 3:24 , Ro. 5:15 - 19 , Ro. 5:21 , Ro. 8:3 , Ro. 8:4 , Ro. 9:30 , Ro. 10:4 , Ro. 10:6 , 1Co. 1:30 , 2Co. 5:21 , Is. 45:24 , Is. 46:12 , Is. 46:13 , Is. 61:10 , Je. 23:6 , Je. 33:16 , Re. 19:8 , Ga. 2:16 , Ga. 2:20 , 2Pe. 1:1
10 That nI may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and othe fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
12 qNot as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but rI follow after, if that I may *apprehend sthat for which also tI am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have *apprehended: but uthis one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for vthe prize of the whigh calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, xas many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16 Nevertheless, ywhereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
17 Brethren, zbe followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an *ensample.
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you aeven weeping, that they are bthe enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 cWhose end is destruction, dwhose God is their belly, and ewhose glory is in their fshame, who gmind earthly things.)
- c: 2Co. 11:15 , 2Th. 2:3 , 2Th. 2:8 , 2Pe. 2:1 , 2Pe. 2:3 , 2Pe. 2:12 , Re. 19:20 , Mat. 24:51 , Lu. 12:46
- d: Is. 56:10 - 12 , Phi. 2:21 , Eze. 13:19 , Eze. 34:3 , Mi. 3:5 , Mi. 3:11
- e: Ho. 4:7 , 2Co. 11:12 , Ga. 6:13 , Tit. 1:10 , Tit. 1:11 , 2Pe. 2:1 , 2Pe. 2:10 , 2Pe. 2:13 , 2Pe. 2:18 , vs. 8 , vs. 12 , vs. 16 , 1Ti. 6:4
- f: 2Co. 4:2
- g: Ro. 8:5 , Ro. 8:6 , Ps. 17:14 , 1Ti. 6:5 , 1Ti. 6:9 , 1Ti. 6:10 , 2Pe. 3:3 , 2Pe. 3:13 , 2Pe. 3:14 , Eze. 33:31 , Eze. 34:3 , Eze. 34:4
20 For hour *conversation is in heaven; from whence also we ilook for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21 Who shall jchange our *vile body, that it may be kfashioned like unto his glorious body, laccording to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.