The preface. John's salutation to the seven churches of Asia. The coming of Christ; his eternal majesty. John relateth his vision of the Son of man with the seven stars and the seven golden candlesticks.
1 THE aRevelation of Jesus Christ, bwhich God gave unto him, cto shew unto his servants things which must dshortly come to pass; eand he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2 fWho bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
3 gBlessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: hfor the time is at hand.
4 John to the iseven churches which are in Asia: jGrace be unto you, and peace, from him kwhich is, and which was, and which is to come; and from lthe seven Spirits which are before his throne;
5 And from Jesus Christ, who is mthe faithful witness, and the nfirst begotten of the dead, and othe prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that ploved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
- m: Re. 3:14 , Re. 19:11 , Jn. 8:14 , Jn. 18:37 , 1Ti. 6:13 , Is. 55:4 , Is. 43:10 , Ps. 89:37
- n: Re. 3:14 , 1Co. 15:20 , 1Co. 15:23 , Ac. 26:23 , Col. 1:18
- o: Re. 11:15 , Re. 17:14 , Re. 19:16 , 1Ti. 6:15 , Ps. 89:27
- p: Jn. 13:1 , Jn. 15:9 , He. 9:12 , He. 9:14 , 1Jn. 1:7 , 1Pe. 1:18 , 1Pe. 1:19 , Ac. 20:28 , Ga. 2:20 , Re. 5:9 , Re. 7:14 , Zec. 13:7
6 And qhath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; rto him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
7 sBehold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and tthey also which pierced him: and uall kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
8 vI am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, wthe Almighty.
9 I John, who also am xyour brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10 I was yin the Spirit on zthe Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
11 Saying, aI am Alpha and Omega, bthe first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto cthe seven churches which are in Asia; unto dEphesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
12 And eI turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw fseven golden candlesticks;
13 And gin the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto hthe Son of man, clothed with ia garment down to the foot, and j*girt *about the paps with a golden girdle.
- g: Mat. 18:20 , Mat. 28:20 , Re. 2:1 , Zec. 1:8 , Eze. 46:10 , Col. 1:27
- h: Da. 10:5 , Da. 10:6 , Da. 7:9 , Da. 7:13 , Eze. 1:26 - 28 , Re. 14:14 , Re. 15:6
- i: Ex. 28:4 , Ex. 28:40 , Ex. 39:1 , Ex. 39:27 , Re. 19:8 , 2Co. 5:21
- j: Is. 11:5 , Da. 10:5 , Re. 15:6
- *: girt-secured with a belt or band. , about the paps-around his chest.
14 kHis head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were las a flame of fire;
15 And mhis feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and nhis voice as the sound of many waters.
16 oAnd he had in his right hand seven stars: pand out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: qand his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
17 And when I saw him, rI fell at his feet as dead. And he slaid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
18 tI am he that liveth, and uwas dead; and, behold, vI am alive for evermore, Amen; wand have the keys of xhell and of death.
- t: Jn. 1:4 , Jn. 5:21 , Jn. 5:26 , 1Jn. 5:20 , Job 19:25 , Ro. 6:9
- u: Mat. 20:28 , Ro. 5:8 , Ro. 5:10 , Ro. 6:10 , Ro. 8:3 , Ro. 8:33 , Ro. 8:34 , 1Th. 2:15 , 1Th. 2:16
- v: Ps. 21:4 , Ro. 6:9 , He. 7:25 , Jn. 14:19 , Col. 3:3 , Col. 3:4 , Re. 4:9 , Re. 4:10 , Re. 5:14 , Re. 10:6 , Re. 15:7
- w: Re. 3:7 , Is. 22:21 , Is. 22:22 , Ps. 68:18 , Ps. 68:20 , Mat. 28:18 , Jn. 17:2 , Ro. 14:9 , Re. 20:1 , Re. 20:2 , De. 32:39
- x: Job 28:22 , 1Co. 15:55
19 yWrite the things which thou hast seen, zand the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;
20 The mystery of the seven astars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the bseven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the cangels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.