Paul, commending to the Romans his calling, greeteth them, and professeth his concern for, and desire of coming to see, them. He sheweth that the gospel is for the justification of all mankind through faith; and having premised that sinners in general are obnoxious to God's wrath, he describeth at large the corruptions of the Gentile world.
1 aPAUL, ba servant of Jesus Christ, ccalled to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
- a: Acts 9 , Acts 22 , Acts 26 , Ga. 1:13 - 23 , Phi. 3:5 , Phi. 3:6
- b: Ac. 27:23 , Phi. 1:1 , Ja. 1:1 , 2Pe. 1:1 , vs. 1 , Ro. 1:9 , Ep. 4:1
- c: He. 5:4 , Ac. 9:15 , Ac. 13:2 , Ac. 13:3 , Ac. 22:14 , Ac. 22:21 , Ac. 26:16 - 18 , 1Co. 9:1 , 1Co. 9:2 , Ep. 1:1 , Ep. 3:8 , Col. 1:1 , 1Ti. 1:1 , 1Ti. 1:12 , 1Ti. 2:7
2 d(Which he had promised *afore eby his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made fof the seed of David according gto the flesh;
- f: Ga. 3:8 , Ge. 3:15 , Ge. 12:3 , Ge. 22:18 , Ge. 26:4 , Ge. 49:10 , De. 18:15 - 18 , 2Sa. 7:12 , Ps. 132:11 , Ps. 89:36 , Is. 9:6 , Is. 9:7 , Je. 33:15 , Je. 31:22 , Eze. 34:23 , Eze. 37:24 , Lu. 24:27 , Lu. 24:44 , Ac. 10:43
- g: Mat. 1:1 , Mat. 9:27 , Mat. 12:23 , Lu. 1:32 , Lu. 1:69 , Lu. 2:5 , Lu. 2:6 , Ac. 2:30 , Ac. 13:23 , 2Ti. 2:8
4 And 1declared to be hthe Son of God with ipower, according jto the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
5 By whom kwe have received grace and apostleship, l2for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
- k: Ro. 12:3 , Ro. 15:15 , Ro. 15:16 , 2Co. 3:6 , Ga. 2:9 , Ep. 3:2 , Ep. 3:7 , Ep. 3:8 , 1Co. 15:10 , 1Ti. 1:12 , Jn. 1:16
- l: Ro. 16:26 , Ac. 22:21 , Ac. 28:28 , Ro. 11:13 , Ro. 15:16 , Ro. 15:19 , Ga. 1:15 , Ga. 1:16 , 1Ti. 2:7 , 2Ti. 1:11 , Col. 1:6 , Col. 1:23 , Mat. 28:19 , Mar. 16:15 , Mar. 16:16
- 2: Or, to the obedience of faith.
6 Among whom are ye also the mcalled of Jesus Christ:
7 To all that be in Rome, nbeloved of God, called to be saints: oGrace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8 First, pI thank my God qthrough Jesus Christ for you all, rthat your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
9 For sGod is my witness, whom tI serve 3with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, uthat without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
10 Making request, vif by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.
11 wFor I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
12 That is, xthat I may be comforted together with you 4by ythe mutual faith both of you and me.
13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that zoftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was *let *hitherto,) that I might ahave some fruit 5among you also, beven as among other Gentiles.
14 cI am debtor both to the Greeks, and dto the *Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
16 For eI am not ashamed of the fgospel of Christ: for it is gthe power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to hthe Jew first, and also to the Greek.
- e: Ps. 40:9 , Ps. 40:10 , 2Ti. 1:8 , 1Co. 1:18 , 1Co. 1:23 , 1Co. 1:24 , 1Co. 2:2 , 1Co. 9:16 , Mar. 8:38 , Ac. 5:41
- f: 2Co. 2:12 , Col. 1:27 , Lu. 2:10 , Lu. 2:11 , He. 2:3
- g: Je. 23:29 , 1Co. 1:18 , 1Co. 1:24 , 1Co. 15:2 , 2Co. 10:4 , 2Co. 10:5 , Tit. 2:11 , Tit. 2:12 , Ac. 13:26 , Mar. 16:15 , Mar. 16:16 , Ep. 1:13 , Ro. 10:4 , Ro. 10:10 , Ro. 10:17 , Ps. 110:2
- h: Ro. 2:9 , Ro. 2:10 , Ac. 3:26 , Ac. 13:46 , Ac. 18:4 , Ac. 19:10 , Ac. 20:21 , Ac. 28:28 , Ro. 9:24
17 For therein is the irighteousness of God revealed jfrom faith to faith: as it is written, kThe just shall live by faith.
18 For lthe wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who mhold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 nBecause that which may be known of God is manifest 6in them; ofor God hath shewed it unto them.
20 pFor the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; 7so that they are qwithout excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, rneither were thankful; sbut became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 tProfessing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 uAnd changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24 vWherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who wchanged the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the *creature 8more than the Creator, who is xblessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause yGod gave them up unto *vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was *meet.
- *: meet-suitable, fit.
28 And zeven as they did not like 9to retain God in their knowledge, aGod gave them over to 10a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not *convenient;
29 bBeing filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, *malignity; whisperers,
- b: Je. 17:9 , Ro. 8:7 , Ro. 8:8 , Mat. 15:19 , Mat. 12:35 , Mar. 7:20 - 23 , Ep. 2:1 - 3 , Ep. 2:12 , Ep. 4:18 , Ep. 4:19 , Tit. 3:3 , 1Pe. 4:3 , 1Co. 6:9 , 1Co. 6:10 , Ga. 5:19 - 21 , Ep. 5:3 , 2Ti. 3:2 - 4 , Isaiah 5 , Isaiah 59 , Jeremiah 9 , Ezekiel 8 , Ezekiel 16 , Ezekiel 22 , Ezekiel 23 , Micah 2 , Micah 3 , Micah 7
- *: malignity-deep-rooted hatred, great malice.
30 Backbiters, haters of God, *despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
- *: despiteful-contemptuous.
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, 11without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
- 11: Or, unsociable.