God hath not so far cast off all Israel, but that a remnant is saved by grace, not by works. The judicial blindness of the rest is prophesied of in scripture. The consequence both of their fall and conversion with regard to the Gentile world. The Gentiles are cautioned not to insult the Jews, but to make a proper use of the example both of God's goodness and severity. The Jews may, and shall in time, believe and be saved. God's judgments and ways are unsearchable.
1 I SAY then, aHath God cast away his people? God forbid. bFor I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
2 cGod hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. *Wot ye not what the scripture saith 1of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 dLord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine ealtars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? fI have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 gEven so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
6 hAnd if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7 What then? iIsrael hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but jthe election hath obtained it, kand the rest were 2blinded
8 (According as it is written, lGod hath given them the spirit of 3slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
9 And David saith, mLet their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
10 nLet their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
11 I say then, oHave they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather pthrough their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
12 Now qif the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the 4diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; rhow much more their fulness?
13 For I speak to you Gentiles, sinasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
14 tIf by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
15 For uif the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but vlife from the dead?
16 wFor if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
17 And xif some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert *graffed in 5among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 yBoast not against the branches. But if thou boast, zthou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, aThe branches were broken off, that I might be *graffed in.
20 Well; bbecause of unbelief they were broken off, and thou cstandest by faith. dBe not *highminded, but fear:
- b: Ac. 13:45 , Ac. 13:46 , Ac. 18:6
- c: 2Ch. 20:20 , Is. 7:9 , Ro. 5:1 , Ro. 5:2 , Ro. 14:4 , 1Co. 15:1 , 1Pe. 5:12 , 2Co. 1:24 , Ep. 6:13 , Ep. 6:14
- d: Je. 13:15 , Pr. 28:14 , Is. 66:2 , Ro. 12:16 , Phi. 2:12 , Ja. 4:6 , 1Pe. 5:5 , 1Co. 10:6 , 1Co. 10:11 , 1Co. 10:12 , 1Co. 10:22
- *: highminded-puffed up with pride.
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore ethe goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou fcontinue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
- e: Ro. 9:18 , Ro. 9:22 , Ro. 9:23 , Mat. 8:11 , Mat. 8:12 , Mat. 21:43
- f: Jn. 15:2 , Jn. 15:4 , 1Co. 15:2 , He. 3:6 , He. 3:14 , He. 10:23 , He. 10:38 , Ga. 6:9 , 2Co. 3:16 , Ro. 11:11 , Ro. 11:12 , Ro. 11:15 , Ro. 11:24 , Ro. 11:26 , Ro. 11:31 , Ps. 68:22 , Is. 11:11 - 16 , Is. 24:23 , Is. 27:12 , Is. 27:13 , Is. 49:14 - 26 , Is. 51:22 , Isaiah 54 , Isaiah 55 , Isaiah 60 - 62 , Isaiah 65 , Isaiah 66 , Jeremiah 3 , Jeremiah 30 , Jeremiah 31 , Je. 32:37 - 44 , Jeremiah 33 , Ezekiel 34 , Ezekiel 36 - 48 , Ho. 3:5 , Ho. 1:10 , Ho. 1:11 , Ho. 2:14 - 23 , 3:16 - 21 , Micah 4 , Micah 5 , Am. 9:11 - 15 , Zephaniah 3 , Zechariah 2 , Zechariah 8 - 14
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be *graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
- *: graffed-grafted.
24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert *graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
- *: graffed-grafted.
25 For I would not, brethren, that gye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be hwise in your own *conceits; that 6blindness in part is happened to Israel, iuntil the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
- g: Ps. 3:2 , Ps. 107:43 , Ho. 14:9 , De. 32:29 , Ro. 16:25 , Ep. 3:3 , Ep. 3:6 , Col. 1:27
- h: Ro. 12:16 , Pr. 3:5 , Pr. 3:7 , Pr. 26:12 , Pr. 26:16 , Is. 5:21
- *: conceits-opinions.
- 6: Or, hardness, v.5,7. ch. 9.18. 2Co. 3.14-16. , Ro. 11:5 , Ro. 11:7 , Ro. 9:18 , 2Co. 3:14 - 16
- i: Ho. 3:5 , Re. 11:15 , Revelation 19 - 22 , Zec. 14:8 - 21 , Zec. 8:20 - 23 , Is. 11:9 , Is. 11:10 , Isaiah 54 , Isaiah 60 , Ezekiel 34 - 48 , Lu. 21:24 , Re. 7:9
26 And so jall Israel shall be saved: as it is written, kThere shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27 lFor this is my covenant unto them, mwhen I shall take away their sins.
28 As concerning the gospel, nthey are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are obeloved for pthe fathers' sakes.
29 For qthe gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
30 For ras ye in times past have not 7believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31 sEven so have these also now not 8believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
32 For tGod hath 9*concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
33 uO the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and vhis ways past finding out!
34 wFor who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
35 xOr who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?