Subjection to magistrates enforced. We must render to all their dues: only love is a debt we must always owe, and virtually containeth the whole law. Rioting, drunkenness, and other works of darkness, must be put away, as much out of season under the gospel.
1 LET every soul abe subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are 1ordained of God.
2 bWhosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 cFor rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is dthe minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 eWherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye ftribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
- f: Lu. 20:22
7 gRender therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; *custom to whom hcustom; ifear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
8 jOwe no man any thing, but to love one another; kfor he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, lThou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, mThou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 nLove worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
11 And that, knowing the time, that onow it is high time to awake out of sleep: for pnow is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
12 qThe night is far spent, rthe day is at hand: let us therefore scast off the works of darkness, and let us put on tthe armour of ulight.
- q: Ca. 2:17 , 1Th. 5:4 - 6 , 1Th. 5:8 , 2Pe. 1:19 , 1Jn. 2:8 , 1Pe. 4:7 , 1Co. 7:29
- r: Jn. 9:4
- s: Ep. 5:11 , 1Th. 5:7 , Jn. 3:20 , Job 24:14 - 17 , Col. 3:5 , Col. 3:8 , Ep. 5:3
- t: 2Co. 6:7 , Col. 3:10 - 17 , 1Th. 5:8 , Ep. 6:11 - 18
- u: Jn. 1:4 , Jn. 1:9 , Jn. 3:19 , Jn. 8:12 , Jn. 12:35 , Mat. 5:16 , Phi. 2:15 , Phi. 2:16
13 vLet us walk 2honestly, as in the day; wnot in rioting and drunkenness, xnot in *chambering and wantonness, ynot in strife and envying.
- v: Phi. 1:27 , Phi. 4:8 , 2Co. 1:12 , Ac. 24:16 , Romans 12 , Romans 13 , Ep. 5:15 , Ephesians 4 - 6 , 1 Thessalonians 5 , 1Th. 4:12 , 1Pe. 2:12
- 2: Or, decently.
- w: Lu. 21:34 , Ga. 5:21 , 1Pe. 4:3
- x: Ga. 5:19 , Ep. 5:3 - 5 , 1Co. 6:9 , 1Co. 6:10 , Col. 3:5 , 1Th. 4:3 , 1Th. 4:5 , 1Pe. 4:3
- *: chambering-sensual, wanton living.
- y: Ja. 3:14 - 16 , Ja. 4:1 , Ga. 5:15 , Ga. 5:26