Though justified by grace, we may not live in sin; since the very figure of baptism requireth us to die with Christ unto sin, that we may lead a new life of holiness unto God. The dispensation of grace freeth us from the dominion of sin; but we are still the servants of sin, if we obey it; therefore being freed from sin, we are bound unto holiness. The end and wages of sin is death; but the fruit of holiness through God's grace is eternal life.
1 WHAT ashall we say then? bShall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 cGod forbid. dHow shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that eso many of us as 1were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are fburied with him by baptism into death: that glike as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so hwe also should walk in newness of life.
- f: Col. 2:12 , Col. 3:4 , Ro. 6:3 , Ro. 6:5 , Ro. 6:6 , Ro. 6:8 , Ro. 6:11
- g: Mat. 28:2 , Mat. 28:3 , Jn. 11:40 , Col. 1:11 , Ep. 2:5 , Ep. 3:16 , Ro. 8:11 , 2Co. 13:4 , 1Co. 6:14
- h: 2Co. 5:17 , Ga. 6:15 , Ep. 4:22 - 24 , 1Jn. 2:6 , Col. 3:9 - 13 , 1Pe. 4:1 , 1Pe. 4:2 , 1Pe. 2:1 , 1Pe. 2:2 , Ro. 7:4 , Ro. 7:6 , Ro. 12:1 , Ro. 12:2 , He. 12:1 , He. 12:2 , 2Pe. 1:4 - 9 , Ro. 6:19
5 iFor if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that jour old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 kFor he that is dead is 2freed from sin.
8 lNow if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ mbeing raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 nFor in that he died, he died unto sin once: obut in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 pLikewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 qLet not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 rNeither yield ye your members as 3instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 sFor sin shall not have dominion over you: for tye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 uWhat then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that vto whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that wye were the servants of sin, xbut ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine 4which was delivered you.
18 yBeing then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 zI speak after the *manner of men abecause of the infirmity of your flesh: bfor as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 cFor when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free 5from righteousness.
21 dWhat fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? efor the end of those things is death.
22 fBut now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, gand the end everlasting life.
23 For hthe wages of sin is death; ibut the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- h: Ro. 6:21 , Ge. 2:17 , Ro. 5:12 , Ja. 1:15 , Eze. 18:4 , Ro. 7:5 , Ro. 8:13 , Ro. 2:8 , Ro. 2:9 , Is. 3:11 , Ga. 6:7 , Ga. 6:8 , 1Co. 6:9 , 1Co. 6:10 , Re. 21:8 , Re. 22:15
- i: Ro. 6:22 , Ro. 2:7 , Ro. 5:10 , Ro. 5:17 , Ro. 5:18 , Ro. 5:21 , 1Jn. 2:25 , 1Jn. 5:11 , 1Jn. 5:12 , Tit. 1:2 , Jn. 3:14 - 17 , Jn. 3:36 , Jn. 6:40 , Jn. 6:54 , Jn. 6:57 , Jn. 17:2 , Jn. 10:10 , Jn. 10:28 , Jn. 10:29 , Ep. 2:8 , 1Pe. 1:3 , 1Pe. 1:4